Saturday, October 1, 2011

Aspire

5 weeks from TODAY, Becca, David and myself will embark on a 10-14 hour journey (depending on performance:)) for which we have been training the past 8 months.  As the race date gets closer, I struggle with what type of race goal to throw down.
-Do I just try to have fun?
-Do I follow a heart rate plan and worry less about finish time?
                                             OR
-Do I try to hammer out a 12-13 hour Ironman and set my self up for a major victory or heartbreak?

The verdict is out - but below are some super interesting statics regarding last year's Florida Ironman that I wanted to share.

Main Take-Aways:1 - You do NOT want to be in the upper right hand corner.  That makes for a PAINFUL run.
2 - A slow bike split may lead to a faster run split, but an overall slower race time.  Pick your poison.

Main Takeaway:  To be average in my age group, I need to hammer out a 13:01.  But really, who wants to be average?

Main Takeaway:  Florida, as a race, is easier than many of the US Ironman races.  Next year I am running in Switzerland.

So - the jury is still out regarding a goal time.  May the water be calm, the wind be at our backs and the sport beans plentiful.

MM

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt the sport beans will be plentiful! I can't believe the race is so close.......good luck!

    ReplyDelete